Teva’s Zaragoza plant quintuples production in 10 years, delivers to 30 international markets

     

  • The Teva factory in Zaragoza has quintupled production to 5,600 million annual doses, and doubled the number of employees since 2008

  • Its highly automated logistics facilities manage over 1 million units per day and 1.600 references, that are delivered to a total of 30 countries

  • The facilities of Zaragoza are a reference within Teva, both in productivity and efficiency 

 

5% of the global production of pharmaceutical giant Teva is manufactured in the Aragonese capital, Zaragoza. Since 2008, when the Israeli group acquired Belmac Laboratories in Zaragoza, it has invested heavily in technology and expansion of the facilities. The biggest milestone in this decade “has been the expansion from only one production center with 13,000 square meters to 42,000 sqm, distributed in three independent centers in the industrial area of Malpica,” according to the company.

It has been the high productivity ratio that has allowed them to consolidate and grow. “We have achieved an exponential increase in our productive capacity, storage and distribution”: Production has increased fivefold from 1,200 million doses in 2008 to 5,600 million annual doses at present: 2,200 million are capsules and 3,400 million are compressed. And 86% of what is manufactured is exported, mainly to Europe and Latin American countries and Russia.

 

2,000 trucks enter the TEVA DC in Zaragoza every year. (Photo: tevapharma.es)

In the Zaragoza plant, Teva manufactures 29 different products. The factory – which is structured in three production lines – operates three shifts seven days a week. Production does not stop, and product is served in less than 24 hours to 90% of Spanish hospitals and pharmacies . This tight delivery scheme can be achieved thanks to the activity of the distribution center – located in the same industrial area – that Teva inaugurated in 2010 and that is fully automated.

IT is key in a logistics warehouse that has to manage 1,600 drug references against the clock: «We send 1 million commercial units a day. 33% is for the national market and the remaining 67% is sent to the international market (Europe and South America).» 2,000 trucks enter and leave from the facilities each year, moving some 85,000 pallets.

 

Source: heraldo.es, tevapharma.es